Size: 4" x 1.75", made of real bamboo.
If you are left handed, please select the 'left hand option'.
This bamboo pottery rib, or dango in Japanese, is used to change the shape or smooth the inside or outside of a form, usually while it is being thrown (wheel pots) or formed (coiled pots).
Why use ribs?
Ribs are versatile and are invaluable tools that perform a wide variety of tasks both on the wheel and off the wheel. Ribs can:
- Aid in forming the basic shape of a pot through pressure on the inner or outer surface - during or after throwing.
- Create lines, grooves, shoulders or ridges using the angles the rib.
- Smooth and bind together the separate coils of a coiled pot, and the thrown coiled sections of a two-stage pot.
- Support sections of a pot that may collapse during throwing, either through shortness of clay, thinness of walls, overworking, or from the extreme sharp of the pot while final manipulations are made.
- Clean the bottom of the pot, using the rib as a substitute for a knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.